Obtaining a U.S. Medical residency is highly competitive, with only one in four U.S. physicians being an international medical graduate (IMG). With the added pressures of language and culture, entering the realm of graduate medical education as an IMG can be difficult. Foreign applicants often have a harder time navigating the residency program application system than domestic applicants. That means a foreign graduate must do everything in their power to prove their worth as a residency applicant. There’s no better way of making oneself a competitive applicant than by passing Step 3. This will add to the strength of your ERAS application.
USMLE Step 3 is important for a program director who is looking at the application of an IMG for a number of reasons:
- The program is ensured you will not run the risk of failing the test during your residency
- With Step 3 passed, there are no further exams. This allows you to devote all of your attention to your post-graduate medical residency training
- You will not have to study for your test while completing your residency – you can focus on your In-Training Exams
- You must complete USMLE Step 3, by the end of PGY-2, in order to qualify for a medical license.
Many states require a passing USMLE Step 3 score before the third year of residency
- USMLE Step 3 is part of the requirements to qualify for an H1-B Visa sponsorship
We have a tailored its USMLE Step 3 prep program for IMG’s to ensure your residency application is as strong as possible. Passing the USMLE Step 3 will make you a strong candidate. Let us prepare you to match toward your dream residency!