The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) issues a certification, in order to validate an FMG/IMG’s medical degree obtained from a non U.S. based medical school, and to ensure that they have met the minimum standards in patient care. Without this certificate, an FMG/IMG may not be considered for an ACGME accredited residency position. Residents Medical provides consulting and guidance to candidates who seek an ECFMG Certification. Advising you on how to complete and submit documentation, as well as diligently following up are only a few of the ways in which we assist candidates. The timing in obtaining an ECFMG Certification must be perfect or a candidate may risk missing a whole year of residency application/interview season. Our guidance counselors effectively assist you in obtaining your ECFMG Certification as well as registering with the Federation of States Medical Board (FSMB).
To be eligible for an ECFMG certification, an International Medical Graduate or Foreign Medical school Graduate must meet the following qualifications:
1. The applicant’s medical school must be listed as eligible for ECFMG certification in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
2. The applicant must successfully pass the USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CS and Step 2 CK examinations.
3. The applicant must have been awarded credit for completion of four years of the medical curriculum.
4. The applicant must provide documentation of the completion of all requirements sent from their medical school and receipt of their medical school diploma.
5. The applicant must also provide all final medical school transcripts to ECFMG.
The diploma and the medical school transcripts must be verified as a primary source in order to ensure the integrity and validity of the international medical graduate’s credentials. This is a multi-step process for ECFMG, so you need to make sure you are sending authentic documentation before submitting your application. Let us help with your ECFMG certification process. Some programs require that you are certified in order to invite you to interview, and all others will require you to be certified by the time of the rank order list submissions. Either way, we are here to insure that you will have a valid ECFMG certificate in order to be accepted into residency programs.